Staff Writer, Sleep
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Staff Writer - Sleep
Reviewed/reviewed.com, a part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking an eager and talented journalist to join us as a full-time Staff Writer, covering the latest in the world of mattresses, pillows, and other sleep-related products.
The ideal candidate will have a deep curiosity about the world and an appreciation for smart service journalism. You’ll be part of a rapidly growing team and responsible for shaping daily content that enriches people’s lives. You’ll have a chance to share your work across the USA TODAY Network and beyond.
Our mission is to help people buy the best stuff and love what they already own. We do this by providing our audience informative, enjoyable, and genuinely useful content.
This position requires some editorial experience and an eye for discerning what is true about a product and what is just marketing hype. (Bonus points if you have a fondness for naps.) Previous experience with affiliate links is a plus. This is a full-time, salaried role working 40 hours per week.
Reviewed is one of the most influential sources on the internet when it comes to product reviews. You’ll learn on the job and become a key contributor to a team of talented, like-minded product nerds. The Staff Writer, Sleep will be one of our go-to people for testing out and reviewing sleep-related products, including mattresses, pillows, sheets, comforters, sleep technology, devices, and monitoring wearables, among other items, from our labs in Cambridge, MA. This role will also write consumer education, how-tos, and product roundups related to sleep.
The Staff Writer, Sleep role reports to the Senior Editor, Lifestyle, part of the Reviewed Lifestyle Team. Work is done in our editorial offices and (truly awesome) labs in Cambridge, MA. Due to the in-person testing needed for this position, candidates will need to be based in the greater Boston area and plan on working from our offices on a regular basis while following all necessary COVID-19 protocols.
- Write and produce multiple articles per week.
- Work within the Sleep team’s editorial workflow to pitch, write, and publish stories in a timely manner.
- Produce your work in the appropriate CMS, with the proper formatting, image selection or creation, and link building.
- Update our existing product roundups with new testing, new trends, and the latest news, when needed.
- Work with our Chief Scientist and Lab team to perform necessary tests in our Sleep Lab.
- Be available to work during holidays and major sales, including but not limited to Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and Amazon Prime Day.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience producing high-quality, rapid-turnaround editorial content.
- Ability to write within a clear format quickly and succinctly.
- An understanding of readers’ needs, shopping habits, and budget constraints.
- Creative ability to identify and execute related features.
- Basic photo-editing skills and experience with programs like PhotoShop or Canva.
- Understanding of consumer search trends and shopping habits.
- Competitive drive to be a leading editorial voice.
- An understanding of journalistic ethics and commitment to upholding high ethical standards.
- Knowledge of SEO a plus.
- Experience with affiliate networks, like Amazon Affiliates, Skimlinks, Impact Radius, Trackonomics, or others is a plus.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check.
How to Apply:
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Our Work Environment:
Office work takes place in an open-floor-plan office, with several smaller meeting rooms and test labs throughout the building. Regardless of whether you’re onsite or remote, you’ll be expected to be accessible to the team throughout the day via face-to-face communication (whether in-person or over video calls), email, phone, and Slack.
Buying stuff is easy. Buying the right thing is hard. That’s where we can help. Reviewed brings consumers the most trustworthy reviews available, written by our team of experts. We believe that tough, objective reviews are the best way to analyze products. We provide readers with insightful, practical, and entertaining stories that help them make informed decisions.
Reviewed is part of the USA TODAY Network, one of the largest news networks in the country, reaching over 150 million monthly unique visitors.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Boston, MA, USA
- Cambridge, MA, USA
- Massachusetts, USA