Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Reviewed/reviewed.com, a part of Gannett and the USA TODAY NETWORK, seeking a professional journalist to join us as a full-time Editorial Assistant to assist with duties like online production, image selection and editing, workflow organization, and other tasks as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have a deep curiosity about the world and an appreciation for smart service journalism. You’ll be part of a rapidly growing team and responsible for shaping daily content that enriches people’s lives. You’ll have a chance to share your work across the USA TODAY Network and beyond.
Our mission is to help people buy the best stuff and love what they already own. We do this by providing our audience informative, enjoyable, and genuinely useful content.
This position requires some editorial experience and a hunger to learn more about service journalism. This is a full-time role working 40 hours per week. While you will likely have the ability to occasionally write articles or review products, that will not be the main focus of this role.
This role will also require attendance on certain holidays or big sales including, but not limited to Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and Amazon Prime Day. While we strongly prefer journalists with professional experience, experience producing content for other types of publications will be considered, as long as candidates demonstrate an understanding of quick-turnaround content production and journalistic ethics.
Reviewed is one of the most influential sources on the internet when it comes to reviews of products like appliances, consumer technology, lifestyle products, and more. You’ll learn on the job and become a key contributor to a team of talented, like-minded product nerds.
The Editorial Assistant role reports to our Managing Editor, Deals. We are open to remote employees, but staffers are also able to work out of our (truly awesome) labs in Cambridge, MA.
- Collaborate with the editorial team to assist with necessary tasks the team needs completed.
- Coordinate with editors to ensure your team’s editorial workflow runs smoothly and with proper notification for all parties involved, including cross-team communication with the roundup, testing, and audience development teams.
- Produce articles in the appropriate CMS, with the proper formatting, image selection or creation, and link building.
- Collaborate with other departments, including the roundup, testing, audience development, business development, and search and updates teams as necessary.
- Update previously published stories for accuracy, SEO, or other reasons under direction from your editor as necessary.
- Be available to work during holidays and major sales including, but not limited to Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and Amazon Prime Day.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education/experience and/or training.
- Experience with producing content in CMS systems such as WordPress, Chorus, Arc, or other proprietary CMS programs.
- Strong understanding of basic word processing software such as Microsoft Word and Google Docs.
- Ability to quickly learn proprietary content production tools and overall eagerness to approach new software.
- Understanding of basic coding formatting such as HTML and Markdown.
- Understanding of copyediting skills and the ability to notice and correct typos.
- Basic photo editing skills and experience with programs like Photoshop or Canva.
- Strong understanding of journalistic ethics and commitment to upholding high ethical standards.
- Experience producing high-quality, rapid-turnaround editorial content is a plus.
- Knowledge of SEO is a plus.
- Experience with affiliate networks, like Amazon Affiliates, Skimlinks, Impact Radius, Trackonomics, or others is a plus.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check.
How to Apply:
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Our Work Environment:
Office work takes place in an open floor plan office, with several smaller meeting rooms and test labs throughout the building. Regardless of whether you’re onsite or remote, you’ll be expected to be accessible to the team throughout the day via face-to-face communication (whether in-person or over video calls), email, phone, and Slack.
Buying stuff is easy. Buying the right thing is hard. That’s where we can help. Reviewed brings consumers the most trustworthy reviews available, written by our team of experts. We believe that tough, objective reviews are the best way to analyze products. We provide readers with insightful, practical, and entertaining stories that help them make informed decisions.
Reviewed is part of the USA TODAY Network, one of the largest news networks in the country, reaching over 150 million monthly unique visitors.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Editors of Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Boston, MA, USA
- Cambridge, MA, USA
- Massachusetts, USA