General Assignment Reporter
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Gaston Gazette, part of the USA Today Network, is looking for a confident, experienced journalist to grow its audience and serve its community through general assignment reporting, with specific emphasis on K-12 education, higher education and city government.
We must put our digital audience first in making coverage decisions by asking key questions that our target audience will have on coverage topics. A successful candidate must be a leader in telling the story of Gastonia & Gaston County and confident in watchdog journalism. We must win with breaking news, go deeper with trends and enterprise reporting and work collaboratively with the newsroom to tell the story of the Gaston County area. This reporter will have experience not just in reporting but also in digital journalism skills such as social media, SEO and smartphone visual journalism.
· Create content (articles, videos, photos and social media posts) about local news that accurately informs, entertains and engages key audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
· Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
· Work toward becoming the community’s leading voice for news and issues in Gaston County.
· Plan and execute engagement opportunities to reach audiences through content, community events and social media.
· Work with content coach to evaluate what's working and what's not and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
· Collaborate with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics).
· Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
· Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
· Perform other duties as necessary.
· Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· 2 years’ reporting experience.
· Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
· Strong command of AP grammar and style.
· Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and publication ready.
· Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
· Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
· A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsroom.
· Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
· Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
· Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
· Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
· News often requires employees to work extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly.
· This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
· Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only)
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Gastonia, NC, USA
- North Carolina, USA