Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Courier & Press of Evansville, Indiana, and The Gleaner of Henderson, Kentucky, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, are looking for a sports editor dedicated to developing talented journalists and serving readers in a market where high school sports matter. A lot. The successful candidate will think digitally first, using analytics to shape coverage that will help us grow our audience. That means enterprise, storytelling, analysis and authoritative lists rather than game stories and scores. The editor will coach a staff with varying levels of experience and be an important part of Gannett's growing network of sports coverage across Indiana. S/he will also embrace the role of social media in developing and sharing sports content.
- Execute tactics to grow subscriptions through storytelling, topic selection and headlines.
- Promote our brand, content and personalities across social media; plan and execute live event coverage on social media; and coordinate initiatives that involve fan feedback, contests or other engagement efforts.
- Ensure posts are high-quality talkers and timed to meet people’s needs and take advantage of multimedia such as polls, texts, slideshows and video.
- Create, track and communicate key social engagement metrics.
- Keep track of sports buzz and what’s trending across social platforms.
- Create smart, thoughtful, engaging, sophisticated content in a variety of formats to help grow audience.
- Provide leadership on developing audiences on social media and emerging social platforms.
- Display creativity in everything from developing fresh content to writing SEO-friendly headlines to sharing content socially to having an eye for images and video.
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 3 years’ experience as a sports journalist, with focus on digital content and multimedia platforms.
- Ability to recruit, manage and motivate reporters at different skill and experience levels.
- Experience in covering complex, impactful or sensitive news content.
- Advanced understanding of various news and information content management systems.
- Ability to lead change management.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with diverse individuals and personalities.
- Strong social media skills.
- Understanding of best uses of live and recorded video and how to inculcate video skills throughout the team.
- Ability to write and edit with accuracy and precision.
- Excellent time-management skills.
- Understanding of the changing sports media landscape and ability to change with it.
- Strong competitive instincts and intellectual curiosity.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
How to Apply:
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Content Management
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Salary
- Evansville, IN, USA
- Indiana, USA